Representing Car Accident Victims
According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), there are approximately 6.5 million licensed drivers, 80,000 miles of state maintained highway and 12,712 bridges across North Carolina.
With millions of drivers on thousands of miles of road, no wonder car accidents happen. No matter where you live, if your car accident occurred in North Carolina, the law firm of Owens & Nelson can help.
We can help with personal injury due to:
- Car or auto accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
At Owens & Nelson, our attorneys can handle your car accident case no matter how serious the injury or whose fault it was.
Car Accidents: A Step-by-Step Guide
You're very shaken after a car accident. Try to stay clear headed and take care of the following steps. If you miss a step, please let one of our lawyers know.
- Stay at the scene. Leaving may be considered a hit and run.
- Check on all drivers and passengers. Ask if anyone was injured. Do not move injured people unless there is immediate danger in not moving them, such as another accident or fire.
- Do not apologize. Your impulse may be to check on the other car's passengers and explain what happened, such as not seeing the red light. To do so may leave you on the hook in terms of legal liability for what happened.
- Call the police. Get the police officer's name and the case number for the report filed.
- Exchange information. Get names, phone numbers, addresses, drivers' license numbers, license plate numbers and insurance information.
- Preserve any evidence. If possible, take a photo and note the time and place where the accident happened.
- Inform your insurance company, but first talk to Owens & Nelson. Protect yourself by making sure you know how to answer the questions the insurance company will ask. You may get cornered into an answer that can incriminate you.
Whether you caused the accident or were the victim, call an experienced car accident lawyer.
In eastern North Carolina and Pitt County, call Owens & Nelson at 888-535-1257 or contact us online. The attorneys at Owens & Nelson have represented clients in North Carolina and beyond.